Gold Standard Minibus Drivers
Posted on 18th April, 2016
Do you know that if your child goes out from the Academy on a visit in an Academy minibus they are always driven by MiDAS qualified staff?
Staff driving an Academy minibus whether it be to take groups of students out on a visit, or to a sporting fixture or, even if the minibus is driven around the Academy the staff driving them are all qualified MiDAS drivers. We believe in the highest possible Health and Safety standards here at Bolton St Catherine’s Academy.
MiDAS is the award winning, nationally recognised standard for the assessment and training of minibus drivers. The scheme is designed to enhance driving standards and promote the safe operation of minibuses.
The training involves learning and understanding:-
- A thorough knowledge of the legal responsibilities of a minibus driver and duty of care
- Department for Transport codes of practice in safe carriage of passengers
- Good practice in passenger comfort
- Health and Safety at work for Drivers
- Manoeuvring of vehicles
- Defensive Driving techniques
- Information on hire policies and procedures
- Minibus Fire and Evacuation procedures
At the end of the training, candidates sit a written test paper, consisting of 20 questions and each candidate undertakes a 1½ hour on-the-road driving assessment. The assessment route takes in to consideration a wide range of road conditions.
We now have a bank of 35 fully qualified MiDAS qualified drivers so your child will always be driven by one of these members of staff when going on off site activities.
Mrs Charnock preparing the minibus before taking a group of students on a visit.